MSU Explore: Earth & Space Science Camp
Dates: June 11-16, 2023
How to Apply
Students who want to attend the camp must submit an application by April 21.
MSU Explore: Earth & Space Science Camp is a 5-day summer camp program encouraging Montana middle school students to learn more about science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). It inspires students to consider science-related careers, encourages them to pursue a college education, and gives them a taste of college life. The camp will run June 11-16, 2023.
Check out Past Camps
Shooting for the Moon: Montana State University Hosts NASA Space Camp
July 25, 2019: News story and video from KBZK.com
Middle-Schoolers Fall in Love With STEM at Earth and Space Camp
July 23, 2019: News story and video from ABC-FOX Montana
Read a news story about our 2018 camp.
Who Can Attend?
MSU Explore is for kids who may not have attended a STEM camp or had access to an MSU opportunity like this before. Students from low-income families and communities, rural areas, or those who will be the first in their families to attend college are highly encouraged to apply. Applicants must be entering grades 6-8 in the fall, and students attending Montana GEAR UP schools receive priority.
MSU Explore camp is free, so we are looking for kids who stand to gain the most from this opportunity. All room and board, activities and student materials are provided free of charge.
Travel to and from the camp in Bozeman is not provided. However, students who attend GEAR UP schools may be eligible for travel funding. Contact your GEAR UP liaison for more information.
Learn More about MSU Explore
What You'll Do
Some of the things you might learn how to do:
- Make a nature survival kit
- Build and launch rockets
- Make and then break concrete structures
- Program and pilot drones and Lego robots
- Explore black holes
- Eat and sleep in the MSU residence halls
- Enjoy evening activities such as sports, movies, scavenger hunts and social events
Important Dates for 2023
- April 21: Applications are due to MSU
- May 5: MSU will notify students by email to inform them about acceptance to the program. MSU will email accepted students a confirmation letter, workshop choices, registration and other important forms.
- May 19: Last day to return required registration paperwork to MSU
- June 11-16: Camp
Hosted by MSU Academic Technology and Outreach in collaboration with Montana GEAR-Up, NASA Science Mission Directorate Education and the Northwest Earth and Space Sciences Pathways (NESSP)
For More Information
Please direct questions to Jamie Cornish at firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-994-6005.