Youth Writing Camp
Dates: July 10-14, 2023
Times: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Cost: Starting at $300 (see details below)
Grades: 5-12 (in Fall 2023)
Location: Montana State University, Bozeman
Do you have a budding writer or a child needing a creative outlet in your family?
The Yellowstone Writing Project's Youth Writing Camp is a multi-day "unschooled" writing workshop for youth entering grades 5-12. Campers will write in multiple genres and share their writing within a supportive community of peers and licensed educators--the Yellowstone Writing Project teacher consultants.
The program includes writing on the move, writing games, and guidance and feedback throughout the writing process. Yellowstone Writing Project (YWP) teachers and junior counselors lead the camp.
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Early bird commuter $300 (through May 30, 2023)
Regular commuter $325 (after May 30, 2023)
Early bird resident $750 (through May 30, 2023)
Regular resident $775 (after May 30, 2023)
Please pay with Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express.
Youth Writing Camp Showcase
Join your child and the Yellowstone Writing Project team for the Youth Writing Camp Showcase in 101 Gaines Hall on the MSU campus on Friday, July 14, 2023, from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.
Join us in celebrating our youth writers and some of their work from this week.
Residence Halls and Meals
Writing camp students are housed on the MSU campus and will eat all meals in Rendezvous Dining Hall.
Residence Hall Amenities
- Residence Hall provides bed linens, pillows, blankets, and towels.
- Towels may be exchanged daily at the main desk.
- A limited fan supply is available for rent at the front desk (first come, first served).
- Hall desks are open 23 hours daily and are closed from noon to 1:00 p.m. daily.
What to Bring
- Backpack and water bottle
- Closed-toe street tennis shoes (or other closed-toe shoes) for all classes.
- Swimsuit and towel
- Small fan (optional, limited supply available at the residence hall front desk, first come, first served basis)
- Specific snacks (snacks may be provided in the evening before bed)
- Rain jacket and/or umbrella
- Warm jacket
- A small amount of spending money for snacks, etc.
- Cell phone
Commuters: What to Bring
- Water bottle
- Your favorite writing utensil
Refunds and Cancellations
During the next few months, families may cancel at any time for a full refund due to the uncertainties surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.
YWP may also decide to cancel summer writing camp. Of course, if we do, we will issue full refunds to all affected participants.
Based in the Department of English at Montana State University, teachers who write and writers who teach comprise the Yellowstone Writing Project. YWP offers teachers immersive professional development experiences, hosts an annual writing conference, and sustains a community of writers. In addition, YWP celebrates student writing and students as authors, particularly with the Youth Writing Camp and the International Youth Silent Film competition.
For More Information
Call (406) 994-6550 or (866) 540-5660 (toll-free). Or e-mail ContinuingEd@montana.edu.