Yellowstone Writing Project's Youth Writing Camp
Dates: July 8-12, 2019
Times: 9 am - 3 pm daily;Special Camp Showcase on Friday @ 1pm (See info below)
Early Bird Cost: Commuter $225; Resident $575 (through April 26)
Regular Cost: Commuter $250; Resident $600 (After April 26)
Grades: 5-12 (in Fall 2019)
Location: Montana State University, Bozeman
Do you have a budding writer in your family or perhaps a child in need of a creative outlet?
The Yellowstone Writing Project's Youth Writing Camp is a multi-day "unschooled" writing workshop for youth entering grades 5-12. Campers will write in multiple genres and share their writing within a supportive community of peers and licensed educators--the Yellowstone Writing Project teacher consultants.
The program includes walking field trips, writing games, and guidance and feedback throughout the writing process. The camp is led by Yellowstone Writing Project (YWP) Teachers and Jr. Counselors.
Early Bird (through April 26): Commuter: $225; Resident: $575
Regular (after April 26): Commuter: $250; Resident: $600
Please pay with Visa, Mastercard, or Discover.
Camp Writing Showcase
Join your child and the Yellowstone Writing Project Team for the Camp Writing Showcase in Gaines Hall 101 on the MSU campus on Friday, July 12 from 1pm - 3 pm.
Join us in celebrating our youth writers and some of their work from this week.
We Will Provide
- Extra writing utensils
Commuters: What to Bring
- Water bottle
- Your favorite writing utensil
Residence Halls and Meals
Students will be housed in Hapner Residence Hall on the MSU campus and will eat all meals in Rendezvous Dining Hall.
Residence Hall Amenities
- Residence Hall provides bed linens, pillow, blanket, and towels.
- Towels may be exchanged daily at the main desk.
- Limited supply of fans are available for rent at the front desk (first come, first served).
- Limited number of mini fridges are available for a fee at the front desk (may take 24 hours to have one received in room, first come, first served).
- Hall desks are open 23 hours per day; they are closed from noon to 1:00 p.m. daily.
What to Bring
- Backpack & water bottle
- Closed toe street tennis shoes (or other closed toe shoes) for all classes. Open-toed shoes/sandals are not permitted in the MSU Laboratories
- Swimsuit and towel
- Small fan (optional, limited supply available at the residence hall front desk, first come-first served basis)
- Specific snacks (snacks may be provided in the evening before bed)
- Rain jacket and/or umbrella
- Warm jacket
- A small amount of spending money for snacks, etc.
- Cell phone
Refunds and Cancellations
A $50 administrative fee will be charged on all refunds before the camp starts. Once the camp starts, there will be no refunds.
Based in the Department of English at Montana State University, the Yellowstone Writing Project is comprised of teachers who write and writers who teach. YWP offers teachers immersive professional development experiences, hosts an annual writing conference, and sustains a community of writers. YWP celebrates student writing and students as authors, particularly with the Youth Writing Camp and Big Sky Country Fair writing competition.
For More Information
Call (406) 994-6550 or (866) 540-5660 (toll free). Or e-mail ContinuingEd@montana.edu.