MSU Explore: Earth & Space Science Camp
MSU Explore: Earth & Space Science Camp is a 5-day summer camp program to encourage Montana middle school students to learn more about science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). It inspires students to consider science-related careers, encourages them to pursue a college education, and also gives them a taste of college life.
Check out this news story about our 2018 camp
Who Can Attend?
MSU Explore is for kids who may not have attended a STEM camp or had access to an MSU opportunity like this before. Students from low-income families and communities, rural areas, or those who will be first in their family to attend college are highly encouraged to apply. Applicants need to be entering grades 6-8 in the fall.
MSU Explore camp is free, so we are looking for kids who stand to gain the most from this opportunity. All room & board, activities, and student materials are provided free of charge.
Travel to and from the camp in Bozeman is not provided. Students who attend GEAR UP schools may be eligible for travel funding. Contact your GEAR UP coordinator for more information.
Learn More about MSU Explore
What You'll Do
Learn how to:
- make a nature survival kit,
- build and launch rockets,
- make--then break--concrete structures,
- protect Montana's rivers and forests, and
- explore black holes.
- eat and sleep in the MSU residence halls, and
- enjoy evening activities such as sports, movies, scavenger hunts and social events.
How to Apply
Applications for Summer 2019 will be available in Spring 2019. In order to attend MSU Explore: Earth & Space Science Camp, a student must be entering grades 6-8 in the fall of 2019. The student needs to fill out an application and choose two adults to fill out a recommendation form. Information will be available on this site.
How to Recommend
One of the recommendation forms should be filled out by a teacher at the student's school. The other form can be filled out by another teacher, or someone who has played a role as a teacher figure - for example, a scout leader, a camp counselor, a tutor, a guidance counselor, etc.
Family friends should not fill out the form unless they have served as in teacher-like role in the student's life.
Recommendations are due to MSU by Friday, April 26, 2019. You are responsible for ensuring that recommendations arrive on time! Late application packets will not be considered.
- Recommend a student online
- Download a recommendation form as a PDF
- Download a recommendation form as a Microsoft Word document
- April 8: Applications available
- April 26: Applications and recommendations are due (not postmarked)
- May 8: Accepted students will be mailed a confirmation letter, workshop choices, registration and other important forms in the mail (USPS)
- May 17: Last day to return required registration paperwork to MSU
- July 21-26: Camp
Hosted by MSU Academic Technology and Outreach in collaboration with NASA Science Mission Directorate Education and the Northwest Earth and Space Pipeline (NESSP)
For More Information
Please direct questions to Jamie Cornish at email@example.com or 406-994-6005.