After you are admitted to the program, you must:

    1. Fill out a Graduate Certificate Program of Study (.doc) (PDF).
      1. Please note that there is a one-time $50 fee associated with filling this form out
      2. Please also read the instructions for the Program of Study (PDF).
      3. We will work with you to fill the document out.
      4. Turn in the Program of Study document to the Student Support Manager at (leave off your Student ID number for security purposes) or by faxing 406-994-7856.
      5. View the Curriculum tab to choose courses that you want to take in your selected Certificate option
      For your reference: Graduate School Program of Study & Committee forms
    2. Clear up any holds that you might have on your Student Account. Holds may prevent you from registering for classes. To see if you have any holds, log into your My Info account, then go to "Student Services", then "Student Records" to view any holds you might have. Contact the Student Support Manager for any questions about holds that you might have.

Note: Students who have not filled out a Program of Study will have a hold on their accounts.

  1. View upcoming NTEN classes by going to the NTEN courses page.
  2. Register for classes through the MyInfo system. Get your advisor PIN by contacting the program managers .

While you are completing the program:

  • Follow your Program of Study. This is your roadmap to completing your certificate in a timely manner. We understand that sometimes "life happens" and we need to make changes, so please contact us if you need to make changes to your program of study.
  • Coursework that is over 6 years old cannot be counted towards a Certificate Program of Study
  • Coursework that is 3XX (or lower numbered) will not be applicable to Graduate Certificate requirements
  • Pass/Fail credits are not allowed on a Graduate Certificate Program of Study
  • No more than 1/3 of the coursework on a Graduate Certificate Program of Study may be 400-level.
  • Be advised that only 3 credits of coursework on the Program of Study can be transfer work. Transfer credits are defined as credits coming from an outside institution, credits taken prior to being admitted to the certificate program in Continuing Education status at MSU, and credits reserved for graduate credit at MSU while pursuing a bachelor's degree.

In your final semester of the program, you must:

  • Be registered for at least 3 credits in your final semester. Even if you need less than 3 credits to meet the 12 credit certificate requirement, you still must be enrolled in at least 3 credits.
  • Fill out an Application for Advanced Certificate (.doc) (PDF); note there is a $20 fee associated with filing this document.
    • You will need to pay this fee every time you submit this form. Thus, if you do not finish in the intended semester, you'll need to pay this fee again if you have to re-submit it.

Your certificate of completion will be mailed to you upon the successful completion of your final course(s). You will also have notation on your official MSU transcript that indicates you have completed this program.

Health Insurance

Health insurance is mandatory whenever you are enrolled for 6 or more academic credits. If you have your own insurance, you may waive participation in the student policy.

Students must waive each semester that they are registered for 6 or more credits. All online students may waive through MyInfo, MSU's online student information system, after they register. How?

If you experience difficulty while requesting a waiver or if you have questions, please call the student health insurance office at (406) 994-3199.

Students with fewer than 6 credits may be eligible for coverage depending on their enrollment circumstances. For more information, call (406) 994-3199.

For information about the student Blue Cross Blue Shield policy, including current rates, please visit the BCBS Student Health Insurance Plan website.

For More Information

Please contact:

Kelly Boyce
Program Manager
Academic Technology and Outreach
Montana State University
128 Barnard Hall
PO Box 173860
Bozeman, MT 59717-3860

Tel: (406) 994-6812
Toll free: (800) 282-6062
Fax: (406) 994-7856

Explore Further