Application Deadlines

Academic Technology and Outreach must receive your application materials, including all transcripts, by:

  • September 2nd for fall semester
  • January 15th for spring semester
  • June 3rd for summer semester

If the deadline has come and gone and there are still courses that have not begun, admissions is probably still possible. Email Kelly Boyce to see if you can still be admitted for an upcoming semester at, or call him at 800-282-6062 or 406-994-6812.


Applicants should have:

  • a bachelor's degree in science, science education, elementary/middle school/secondary education, or a related area
  • at least two years of successful science teaching experience in middle, elementary, or high school or other appropriate educational setting (e.g., museum, community college)
  • an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher

If you have an undergraduate GPA that is less than 3.0, you may be admitted to the Certificate Program on a provisional basis. Please contact Kelly Boyce at (800) 282-6062.

How to Apply

Applicants should:

  • Apply to MSU as a graduate student:
    • Pay the one-time application fee of $60
    • Online Application:
      • Under the "Admission Type Applying For" section, select Non-Degree/Certificate
      • Next, under "Program Selection," select the Certificate option you are applying for
  • Submit the following to Academic Technology and Outreach, NTEN Certificate Programs, 128 Barnard Hall, PO Box 173860, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717-3860
    • official transcripts from your undergraduate degree granting institution and graduate degree granting institution (if you have a graduate degree)

Applicants can expect to receive:

  • a letter from the Graduate School with your MSU ID number approximately 10 business days from the date you submitted your graduate student application

Transfer Credit

You may be able to transfer up to three credits from courses in the MSU National Teachers Enhancement Network (NTEN) or Masters of Science in Science Education (MSSE) programs. All transfer credit is subject to approval. Credits from another institution will not be accepted.

If you would like to transfer credit into the Certificate Program, please contact Kelly Boyce. His contact information is below.

Learn more about graduate transfer credit.

For More Information

Please contact:

Kelly Boyce
NTEN Secondary Project Coordinator
Academic Technology and Outreach
Montana State University
128 Barnard Hall
PO Box 173860
Bozeman, MT 59717-3860

Tel: (406) 994-6812
Toll free: (800) 282-6062
Fax: (406) 994-7856

Explore Further